On August 10, 2016, a federal district court entered an order changing the voter identification requirements for all elections held in Texas.
Texas has new voter ID requirements. As a result, voters now have two ways to show their identification at the polls.
- Voters who have the following Photo Identification still are required to show their ID;
If you do not have a photo ID card, and you have difficulty getting an ID card before Election Day, you can sign a special form at the polling place called a “Reasonable Impediment Declaration”
Reasonable impediments include lack of transportation, disability or illness, lack of birth certificate or other documents needed to obtain acceptable photo ID, work schedule, family responsibilities, lost or stolen photo ID, or photo ID applied for but not received. you may also describe another reasonable impediment not listed on the Reasonable Impediment Declaration form.
The reasonableness of your difficulty in getting identification MAY NOT be questioned by any election Official. These alternatives are;
- Valid Voter Registration Certificate
- Certified birth certificate
- Current utility bill
- Bank Statement
- Government check
- Any other government document with your name and address (original required if it contains a photograph)
- Voters who have the following forms of ID must still present the photo ID;
- Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS.
- Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
- Texas license to carry handgun issued by DPS
- United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
- Untied States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
- United States passport.
With the exception of the U.S citizenship certificate , the identification must be current or have expired no more than 4 years before being presented for voter qualification at the polling place.
Click Here to View SOS Press Release on New Voter Requirements
Click here to View Poster of Identification Required for Texas Voters from SOS
Click Here to View SOS Voter Identification Requirements
Click Here to View Examples of forms of ID